- Making an application for social housing and explaining the ‘priority list’ and the ‘wait turn list’;
- Making an application to transfer between social housing providers;
- Understanding your Tenancy Agreement before you sign up;
- Appealing charges on your account that you don’t agree with;
- Dealing with complaints from your neighbours;
- Giving up your house: there are lots of ways that tenancies can end; and
- Getting your bond back.
Family Violence If you’re experiencing family violence you can speak to a KCLS lawyer for advice on how to protect yourself and your children. A lawyer can help you to plan for your safety, speak with the Police or apply for or vary a Violence Restraining Order. Family Law – Children A lawyer at KCLS can speak to you before you attend Family Dispute Resolution to give you advice on your rights and options before you go to FDR. If you can’t reach an agreement at FDR or your situation is too urgent to wait for FDR, you can speak to a lawyer at KCLS about your options. Care and Protection In these situations a lawyer at KCLS can speak to you about how the child protection law works and advise you on your rights. They can also help you to develop plans, speak to CPFS and tell your side of the story. You don’t have to wait until you’re in Court to speak with a lawyer. You can talk to a lawyer at KCLS as soon as you get paperwork from CPFS or are asked to have a meeting with them. It’s usually better to speak to a lawyer as soon as possible, to see if things can be sorted out before Court. If you go to Court we may be able to help you tell your story to the Court and CPFS. Kimberley Community Legal Service provides an outreach service from Broome to Dampier Peninsula, Derby and Fitzroy Crossing.