The Marooloo Child Sexual Abuse Response Service provides support and education to children, individuals, families and communities in Derby.
The program caters to children who have suffered or are at risk of sexual abuse. It also provides education to families and communities. Although the program operates from a central office, outreach services to communities in the Derby region are provided.
The program operates under the guidance of an Elder Women’s Advisory Group and an inclusive reference group.
- Culturally appropriate counselling and healing for children who are victims of sexual abuse and their families
- Education, both one-on-one and in groups, that teaches children and their families:
- How to spot and avoid potential danger
- How to minimise risk of sexual abuse
- What avenues are available to them if they are exposed to sexual abuse in any capacity
- General life skills
- Training for adults and parents that raises their awareness of child sexual abuse in the wider community, and raises their understanding of its impact
- Group activities and courses that encourage the community to unite and take responsibility for ensuring that children are not sexually abused